MCKINNEY FIRE DEPARTMENT REMINDS RESIDENTS TO CHECK SMOKE ALARMS

The McKinney Fire Department is joining forces with the National Fire Protection Association and a local Domino’s Pizza franchise to remind local residents about the importance of working smoke detectors. The fire company said that smoke detectors should be placed in every bedroom, outside sleeping areas and on each level of the home.

Seconds Count

Stacie Durham, spokesperson for the McKinney Fire Department, says that seconds count when a home catches on fire. She said that half of the deaths due to fire are between the hours of 11 PM and 7 AM when the majority of people are sleeping. A smoke alarm alerts residents to a fire even when they are asleep, allowing them enough time to escape. The fire department also suggests interconnecting smoke detectors so that when one sounds, they all sound and says that alarms should be tested at least once each month. Batteries need to be replaced in smoke detectors and Durham recommends replacing the batteries each time residents set their clocks ahead or back for Daylight Savings Time. Everyone in the home should learn the sound of the alarm so that when it does sound, they know to escape. Even small children can be taught what the alarm sounds like, shown how to escape and where to meet family members.

Pizza and Smoke Detectors

During the week of October 4 through the 10, random delivery orders from local Domino’s Pizza stores were selected to be delivered via fire truck. When the trucks arrived, fire fighters checked to be sure the home had working smoke detectors. If they did, their pizza was free. The goal of the promotion was to prevent fire deaths as three out of five deaths occur in homes without working smoke detectors.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon monoxide is an invisible threat as it is a colorless, odorless gas produced by appliances that burn fuel, such as furnaces, water heaters or fireplaces. The gas can build up in homes when a furnace or other fuel burning appliance malfunctions or is improperly vented. Homes with fuel burning appliances should have a carbon monoxide detector installed to warn residents if the levels of the deadly gas rise to unsafe levels.

Carbon monoxide interferes with the normal oxygen intake in the body. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning sometimes mimic symptoms of the flu, including dizziness, nausea and a feeling of disorientation. Unlike the flu, however, when the person leaves the home, the symptoms may improve, only to return when they return to the area with high levels of carbon dioxide.

When checking smoke detectors, it is also important to check carbon monoxide detectors to be sure they are in working order if your home has any fuel burning appliances. If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, contact AAA Air for a service call immediately. They can test your home for the deadly gas and make any repairs necessary to make your home safe again.

Source:
McKinney Texas